Friday, November 10, 2023

June 14, 2014 Thought

A World Without a Friend

What Does it Feel Like?

     In an earlier post, I put a quote up saying that God made us social beings, designed to get along and be together. But what if you didn't have any friends? Loneliness is one of the most powerful emotions that humans can experience. It causes sorrow, anger, and in extreme cases, despair. You begin to wonder what purpose you have and you begin to believe that which you feel like, and that's invisible. 
     Friendships are what define us. My friends, in my case, are my anchor to my goals; my friends are the reason I want to do what I want with my future. A very good friend of mine pulled me out of the darkest hole I had ever been in my entire life. Another friend has given me an enormous need to continue in my faith so as to support their faith. I used to have nothing to strive for. No "ultimate" goal. I had hit the level of despair. But then, I found my hope in my Christian faith and my friends. The word "friend" applies to all those in my life, including my family. My family members were my first friends that I couldn't ever even think about replacing. 
     How selfish would it be for me to leave the people who need me to fend for themselves? My name-given nature is to be loyal, and I am proud to say that I plan to remain loyal to every friend I ever had, have, or will have throughout my entire life. I've learned through years of trial and error experience that, in order to see the value of the things around you, you have to value the things around you. My goal for my future is to open up a coffee shop that acts as a ministry for the youth of this world, allowing me the opportunity to be the friend to the lonely and teacher to the students. 
     Have you ever seen that one kid who sits by himself at lunch during school? I know I have; I've been one of them. Why do you think they sit alone? Don't speculate because you'll guess wrong. Here's an answer that will always be accurate, though: because you aren't sitting with them. Making a conscious effort to be friends with someone is the single most brilliant strategy for making friends. If people in this day and age were to start making that conscious effort, the world could be a more welcoming place, instead of harboring a society where people are outcast, exiled, persecuted, and ignored, which can be one of the most damaging because it molds the feeling of incompetence, failure, and incompatibility.
     So next time you see that kid that you might suppose is being ignored or is sitting alone because all of his or her friends have a different lunch shift, go up to him or her. Be the friend that they could use. People's days have been made by the smallest acts of friendship. Why not make this world a friendlier place? I know this world could use a good smile about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment