Friday, November 10, 2023

07062015


"As the Night Went On"

     Left hanging, I decided to go to a familiar atmosphere located only a few blocks from my home. As I entered the door, a friendly acquaintance welcomed me and offered my regular seat. I declined, of course, my normal seat requiring a second awareness in order to feel comfortable in that particular spot. In exchange, I picked up the vacant corner booth near the road. 

     I may have encroached a boundary not meant for me to cross. And against an awareness that has gone through major turmoil, at that. My fear of distancing friends from myself creeps from my subconscious to my waking mind even as I write this entry. It's a mere fifty-five minutes until a new day beckons. 

     I stayed about an hour, ate my meal, and drank my coffee. After paying for the meal, I went out to my car and proceeded to drive aimlessly around town; finally, I decided to go home, finished with the night's disappointments. After I got home, dressed for the night, and climbed in bed, I got a call from that awareness, informing me as to why they didn't show up. 

     I would like to believe myself to be a loyal friend, but sometimes, that's just not true. I wrongly assumed the situation behind my friend's back. Man, do I feel like an idiot tonight--and after a promise to be friends for as long as life will allow it. I couldn't ask for a better friend, only to be a better one myself. 

     If you're reading this, keep this in mind always: people have lives. You're not the center of the world, and people have to work through their own problems. Just remain loyal to your friends, and they will remain loyal to you in exchange, if they are true friends.

Thanks for reading. Please leave comments below if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment